Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Fat Free Favorite

After much trial and error, here is the best fat free brownie recipe I've tried. The sauce makes a gooey, fudgy layer on the bottom, yummy!

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In large mixing bowl combine:

1 cup flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (optional)

Add

1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract

Stir to blend. Spoon into an 8X8 inch baking pan sprayed with cooking spray.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine:

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
3/4 to 1 3/4 cup hot water (see note)

Stir to blend and pour gently over batter in prepared pan. Bake for 40 minutes.

Note: A fudgy sauce forms on the bottom of the brownie as it bakes. The
consistency of the sauce depends on the amount of hot water you use in the
recipe. If you use the maximum amount, it's like a chocolate syrup; with the
minimum amount it's more like a pudding. I usually use about a cup of water max so it stays thick.

2 comments:

Rashell said...

That's awesome! Thanks! I'll have to try some of that soon.

Rashell said...

Hey! I'm sorry about my phone. I thought they fixed that... Unless you tried to call yesterday. The weather messed it up, I think. Anyway, I think I'll be free either Friday or Saturday night. I'll try to give you a call if that's okay.